View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badkittai

re: Fast Leveling: Invasions

Greetings, Reciprocates!

I just watched this video where MadSeasonShow explains how much crazy XP you can get on your lower level characters by doing the invasions. I'm about to do a few on Badkittai to check it out, since battling demons is more fun to me than Gorgrond. I'm posting the tip here in case some of you still have some alts hanging about that need leveling, or might want to try using the invasions to level a new alt. Keep in mind that you can pop into multiple invasions between four hour cooldowns using the Group Finder, before Blizzard starts making them more frequent. Happy leveling!

Badkittai

Badkittai

I've logged in for the past few invasions to try this out.

Badkittai started out somewhere in level 94. She had fully rested XP, so instead of whittling that down by killing demons (which does give a little extra XP, but not an extraordinary amount), I just AFK'd through all four stages of the invasions. I also used the 20% XP potion from the Garrison. After her first two invasions, she was at 96. Every two invasions after that gave her another level. She also received the normal amount of Nethershards for completing each stage, as well as loot chests, although the ilvl for the gear in the chests was adjusted down (577, 588, 600, etc.). The gold value didn't appear any lower, though, so vendoring all that gear brought a nice profit.

After this I was curious to see how much XP a lower level alt would receive. You can start fighting the invasions at level 10, and I had a level 14 Worgen Warrior languishing. I brought him to Dun Morogh at level 14, and by the end of the four stages he was halfway to 19. He had rested XP and a full set of heirlooms minus the rings, but no other XP bonuses. He also received Nethershards and adjusted ilvl gear, which vendored for the usual amount of gold which was of course quite a lot for this level character. Of course getting your lower level characters around to all the invasion sites is going to be time consuming if not challenging, but this is definitely worth AFK'ing those alts through some invasions.

Badkittai

Badkittai

Badkittai wrote:

Of course getting your lower level characters around to all the invasion sites is going to be time consuming if not challenging, but this is definitely worth AFK'ing those alts through some invasions.

I'm working this out for my alt who just trained riding, so I thought I'd share. The six invasion areas are as follows.

Eastern Kingdoms:

1. Westfall (Sentinel Hill)

Go to Stormwind, run or ride through Elwynn Forest to Westfall. Pick up the flight point at Sentinel Hill if you'd like to be able to fly directly into the zone from Stormwind.

2. Dun Morogh (Kharanos)

Go to Ironforge and run outside the front door. To get to Ironforge, you can take the tram from Stormwind, or if you're starting out in Darnassus, take the portal under the pink tent next to the flight point to Rut'theran Village, then take the boat to Stormwind.

3. Hillsbrad Foothills (Tarren Mill)

This one is going to require a little leg work, but it will also give you an important path into Kalimdor.

From Ironforge, run into Dun Morogh and follow the road to Loch Modan, then into the Wetlands, then to Menethil Harbor. There are several flight points you can pick up along the way, but you need the one in Menethil Harbor.

The boat at Menethil Harbor will take you to Theramore Isle in Kalimdor. Hop on the boat, grab the flight point in pre-Garrosh'd Theramore Isle ("See, Jaina? it's still here, Jaina, as good as new. Cheer up, Jaina!"). Then, take the boat back to Menethil Harbor.

There are two ways of getting to Hillsbrad Foothills from the Wetlands. The first is to swim or ride your Water Strider around the coast from Menethil Harbor, avoiding lvl 22 sharks and lvl 22 or 27 Daggerspines along the way. The second is to take the road north toward Dun Modr, just west of Greenwarden's Grove, then continue across the Thandol Span into the Arathi Highlands. Follow the road to Refuge Point and pick up the flight path. Continue following the road west to the wall which separates the Arathi Highlands from Hillsbrad Foothills and go through the entrance.

For those of you with flying, I usually fly to Aerie Peak in the Hinterlands and hop over the mountains into Hillsbrad from there.

Kalimdor:

1. Tanaris (Gadgetzan)

Take the boat from Menethil Harbor to Theramore, then swim or ride your Water Strider down the coast to Gadgetzan. Pick up the flight point for future use from Theramore. 

2. Northern Barrens - Crossroads (Ratchet)

You can take the boat here from Booty Bay, which is a direct flight from Stormwind once you collect the flight point. You can travel by land or by sea from Stormwind to Booty Bay, but I prefer to wait until level 20, train riding, then take my Water Strider from the docks in Stormwind down the coast to Booty Bay. Get the flight point in Ratchet so you have the connecting flight to Theramore.

3. Azshara - Gates of Orgrimmar

This is the other long journey. Go to Rut'theran Village, either by taking the boat from Stormwind or the portal in Darnassus.  Fly to Lor'danel in Darkshore from Rut'theran, riding south into Ashenvale, then riding east to pick up the flight point at Astranaar. On your way east toward Forest Song, take the road north into Felwood and pick up the Emerald Sanctuary flight point, then head back toward Forest Song and get that flight point. Now you can fly to Forest Song from either Theramore or Rut'theran and it's a quick trip over the bridge to Talrendis Point in Azshara from there.

That's it! It takes some time to get all the flight points, but once you do, visiting all the invasions on a pre-60 alt becomes doable. You will rack up some extra XP along the way, and you'll be visiting zones or getting close to zones which you can use to level between invasions if you wish. I was able to knock out all of this in the timer between invasions with plenty of time to spare, with some of it done on foot!

BTW, if your primary focus is running invasions, I recommend setting your hearthstone to Ironforge. This will give you easy access to Dun Morogh, you're only a quick tram ride away from Stormwind then Westfall, and it's a direct flight to Menethil Harbor where you will either travel on to Hillsbrad Foothills, or take the boat to Theramore where you can fly to Tanaris, Northern Barrens, or Forest Song for Azshara.

Badkittai

Badkittai

PRO TIP: Don't open your loot chests until level 100, and you'll get ilvl 700 gear from them. The gear isn't "adjusted" to your lower level if you don't open the chest.

Gosh! I wish I'd known this sooner.

Blaph

Better than the stage completion rate is the xp that this mob gives you. Its equivalent to a rare spawn at whatever level you are. around 24k exp at level 90 and they spawn 2 in stage 1 and 2 in stage 3. These can be farmed even if you already did the invasion so you can realm hop and farm these guys if you want to level even faster.

Badkittai

So I decided to see how far I could get leveling my mage and hunter with this, who were at Level 1. They are a Gnome and a Dwarf, respectively, and I logged them into the starter zone while there was an invasion going on in Dun Morogh.

Of course they did not get the invasion, although the talking heads still appeared on-screen, and when zone-wide buffs appeared, like the speed boost or stat boost, they received them, too. The weirdest thing was that *none* of the mobs in the Dwarven starter zone were aggressive. Of course that made leveling up to 6 pretty easy. The Gnomish area still had aggressive mobs through the invasion, though. 

When I ran the toons into Kharanos at level 6, I was unable to turn in any quests and the invasion mobs and their AOE effects were in full force. I made a mad dash for the Inn and logged both toons out until the invasion was over.

I leveled the Dwarf Hunter up to 10 without any weirdness, but while I was leveling the Gnome Mage another invasion started in Dun Morogh. She was only at level 8, but nonetheless she got the invasion along with the XP boosts at Stages 2-4. I have no idea why Stage 1 bugged, but I'm not complaining since she ended the invasion at level 12.

I don't know if the "must be level 10" rule isn't really a rule, or if this is just a weird bug if you happen to be leveling in the zone when the invasion starts, or if you can just stand around in Dun Morogh or Westfall at Level 1 right before an invasion pops and cross your fingers for more "free" levels. I'm probably not going to investigate further, since I don't really want to create another alt at this point. 

Badkittai

Badkittai

P.S. Pics or it didn't happen: http://imgur.com/a/Nqqwb

Badkittai

Well the XP buffet only lasted for a few days. Although now we're getting three invasions every two hours, the XP gains were nerfed by about 500%. It's still a respectable amount of XP but nowhere near what it was.

Blaph

You have to be level 10 to do invasions. You also now get more xp per hour, but less per invasion. Basically when they added more invasions they just added a bit more xp added all the invasion exp up and divided it by the number of stages of all invasions. 

If you used to get 80k exp from 2 invasions you got 10k per stage every 4 hours. or 20k per hour. 

Now that the invasions are coming 3x as fast you get more xp per hour, just less per invasions. You might only get 30k for each set, but they are happening every 1.5 hours, meaning you get 90k per 4 hours. Or 22.5k per hour.

TLDR: More exp per hour, less xp per invasion.

Badkittai

Blaph wrote:

TLDR: More exp per hour, less xp per invasion.

Yeah they didn't really take anything away, in fact they gave us more, but it takes a minute to figure that out when you were getting four level gains per invasion before. It's also worth pointing out that they increased the XP gains from killing demons, so participating in the invasion instead of AFK'ing through it will really help your toon level faster.

Badkittai

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reciprocity Forum Index -> Around Azeroth All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: