View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodaria
Rhodaria
In-Game Guild Master

re: Picking a Main in Shadowlands

We all know the pre-patch is near (even if we don't know exactly how soon). 

That means it is officially time to start thinking about mains for the next expansion and raiding. Class changes will be going into effect today--so if you are at all thinking about changing mains play around with the classes and find one you like!

I want to start with some general comments and then I will move into some specific things about picking a main. 

Alright, so, what does picking a main mean? Well as most of you know our raid policies and procedures have each player have a single raid main--that is a single character you are expected to gear and bring to raids for the majority of the expansion. This means that by the start of SL you should know what class/spec you want to be your "main" and you should level and gear that toon first (if you are planning on raiding with us). 

While we will not be revisiting what days we raid this expansion, we are planning to shift raid times just a smidge. Our plan is to do invites at 8:10pm Server with start times at 8:20pm Server. That means we are PULLING at 8:20. You need to be online at 8:10. Then, we are planning to end at 10:30 pm Server instead of 10:45. If for some reason you can't make  the 8:20 new start time, please let me know--we don't want this to remove people from raiding. 

We will also revisit/revamp/reimplement our raid policies and procedures going into SL. For example, I WILL be posting groups again---so people had better learn to sign up again >.> *yeah I am looking at all of you* But I will post more on all of that later as we get closer to actually raiding in SL. 

Lastly, while we want people to be able to play toons that they will enjoy and we will do everything we can to accommodate that we do still need to provide a certain amount of balance for the raid group and do need to put a few constraints in place (read below)  

How to decide what to main in BfA:

The first step in my mind would always be to contemplate what you would enjoy the most. This is, after all, a game and we want each of you (and us as a guild and raid team) to have fun. If you need to, try out different classes and specs. Run dungeons, raids, experiment with target dummies—do whatever you need to do to find something you are going to like playing…because you are going to be stuck with it for quite some time.

The second step is to figure out whether your spec choice is feasible. What does that mean? Well, Tanks & Healers are in less demand in a raid than DPS because we realistically only need 2 tanks and 3-5 healers. We have learned a lot from raiding in Legion & BfA (and the expacs before that)—one of those lessons is that consistency (particularly in terms of tanks/heals) is incredibly important to our success. Therefore we really need our main tanks and our main healers to be individuals who are going to be able to come to all—or almost all—of the raids. If you are only going to be able to come once a week or sporadically main tanking or healing is probably not going to be a feasible choice for you in terms of SL raiding.

As a side note here: If you are desperately interested in tanking/healing but can only make specific raids/days/times talk with me one on one as we may have other tanks/heals that also have those restrictions. I will do whatever I can to keep people on their first choice of class/spec.

As a side-side note: some of our raiders have been waiting a whole expansion to get back to the role they want to they are at a top priority for those roles, but we will do whatever we can to get everyone the roles they want.

After you figure out those two things you can always go look at all of the available information about what classes and specs are performing well etc. if you are one of those min/maxxers who wants to get the utmost out of their toon choice (although be aware that Blizz does have a tendency to go around wildly swinging the nerfbat to and frough) and changing your main raiding toon because you got hit with the nerf bat is not a valid reason.

Once you have come to your decisions please post to this forum (or send me an in-game mail) the following:

• Your Name (so I know who the heck you are)
  • Your first choice Class & Spec (include whether you plan to gear an offspec and if so what)
  • Your second choice Class & Spec (include whether you plan to gear an offspec and if so what)

Example:

Rhodaria: Shaman-Elemental (Ranged DPS) –will offspec Resto if needed

2nd choice: Would consider a mage, or possibly not raiding

Also Note: You do not need to have raided with us before to raid with us in Shadowlands. If you are interested in raiding in just provide the information requested and more information will be upcoming soon. 

Please submit your choices as soon as possible once you know them. I am looking for most people to have their mains submitted by the middle of October (depending on pre-patch date) so we have a plan going into SL. 

Official Main List for Shadowlands

Tanks:

Offthechaeni 

Lillyshifter (offspec dps)

Flaime (offspec dps)

Healers:

Kelavoid (offspec dps)

Elenntari

Steelbelly (offspec dps/tank)

Nibblebeard

Melee DPS:

Dancingbee

Unbaalanced 

Nauriane

Kaorin

Talarian

Yvane (offspec heal/tank)

Humperdink

Thantos

Chubby

Nakai

Mordraug (offspec tank)

Maykiller (offspec tank)

Ranged DPS: 

Yalda

Rhodaria (offspec heals)

Whithers (offspec heals/tank)

Shadew

Abootz (aka Poob)

Zylor

Zelakori

Erroy (aka Rute)

Jema (aka Airlinna)

Surdor 

Cantique

Borlorin

Bearly

Withermane

Anthai

Quarts

Vincentlight 

McDaniel

Swiftnova

Undecided:

Haven't Heard Yet:

Rimupanda

Sparkles

Enigma

Last edited by Rhodaria on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am; edited 12 times in total

Awarded:

Cantique - 1st choice shadow priest - no off spec

Cantique - 2nd choice retro pally (missee) no off spec

Rhodaria
Rhodaria
In-Game Guild Master

Posting for Borlorin:

Hunter (Ranged DPS/Melee DPS)

2nd choice: Paladin for tanking

Posting for Shadew:

1st choice: Shadew (Balance druid)

2nd Choice:  Wildfury (shadow priest)

Posting for Flaime

Tank 1st chocie, dps 2nd choice

Druid or DK

posting for steel 

Paladin

1st choice=holy

2nd choice=ret/tank

Posting for Airlinna

Any/what raid needs

druid (heal or boomy)

warlock, mage, hunter

priest, monk, shammy (healer only)

Balance: Rogue - Unknown Spec (Melee DPS)

2nd choice: Shaman - Enh/Ele (Melee/Ranged DPS)

Airlinna et al
Newcomer

Rhodaria wrote:

Posting for Airlinna

Any/what raid needs

druid (heal or boomy)

warlock, mage, hunter

priest, monk, shammy (healer only)

Yup.  :)

I'm willing to try heals/dps on my priest and shammy, but haven't been all that great on the dps side for them.  Monk is straight up heals though.

Really though, I play all of them equally and enjoy them, so you pick whatever you need and I'll make that my main for guild raids.

Anthai Taylor
Newcomer

Hey all! I will hopefully be raiding in Shadowlands with y'all as Anthai, your friendly neighborhood Fire Mage. I don't plan on having a raiding alt or even an off-spec. Hope that makes it easy for you!

Yald
Newcomer

Demonology Warlock named Drysocket or maybe stick with shaman...idk I'm so confused. Literally every prepatch I have an identity crisis!

vinny007
AFK

my first choice is Vincentlight arcane mage

my second choice would be whatever the Guild needs but probably a elemental shaman

Nauriane
Newcomer

Main Nauriane Sub rogue. I have not decided an off spec for SL.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reciprocity Forum Index -> Raids All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: