Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reciprocity Forum Index -> Rantings of the Guild Stalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodaria
Rhodaria
In-Game Guild Master

re: Rantings of the Guild Stalker, Week 370

Welcome to the 370th edition of the Rantings of the Guild Stalker, your one stop spot to get all the juiciest tidbits. But if you hear it here, you probably didn't hear it first, unless you did--in which case I call Shaman Iguana!

Well, we made it through week 1 of the patch. Some of us are a little worse for wear, but I think we all survived. Despite hating change, and always hating the first few weeks of a new patch, I have survived and I learned a lot this week. I will do my best to distill down what I have learned and share some info and links people were kind enough to share. 

In the important News: Season 4 starts today! What does that mean? Well, it means a new PvP season, a new Mythic+ season (and Affix), and the new raid: Ny'alotha the Waking City. The previous link had a nice table outlining the gear available through pvp, which is decent and worth looking at if you like pvp at all.  If you want to look more at other content of Season 4, check here there is also a handy What to do on Launch Day for Season 4 Guide as well. 

Much to Marisone's glee, there is a new pet battle dungeon as well! Although, to hear her tell it--it was quite a doosey. Wowhead and XuFu's both have guides available. 

Another really useful guide is this traveling guide. If you have done the questline you know you are going ALL over the world and it can get laborious at least and rage inducing causing you to want to set the world of fire at most. 

A quick reminder that the micro-holiday: Call of the Scarabs is active from Jan 21-23. For more on the holiday you can look here

Additionally, as most of you already know, there is a new 6-month subscription reward: Squeakers!

6monthsub.png

Luckily, if you are not a person who has a 6-month subscription (and doesn't want one) people are saying you can buy the mount directly for $25.

Alright, next I am going to do my best to distill down some of the important things people (especially our raiders) should be doing, how to do them, why you should care etc.

1) Opening Quest Line: With so much already to do in the game it can feel overwhelming to sit down and do a 3 hour + questline; however, I highly recommend it. It introduces you to many of the new systems and starts the rep grind for the two new factions. If you are having any amount of trouble doing this quest please ask for help. With the recent party sync feature I was able to replay almost every single quest so guildies can help out if you get stuck.

2) Corruption: So, by now most of you (especially if you have done the opening questline) should have gotten a piece or two of corrupted gear. Corruptions occur on gear in place of warforged/titanforging system for new gear.These effects will appear in purple on the gear. Corruptions are both positive and negative. They are positive in that they provide a positive effect which can be a passive stat boost, a proc based boost or special effects. (Again the positive effect will be in purple. In addition to the positive effect, each corruption comes with a specific amount of corruption. This is cumulative across all of the gear you have equipped. At various levels of corruption new negative effects will take place. The breakpoints for the negative effects occur at 1, 20, 40, 60 & 80 corruption. Each level increasing in their negativeness.

So, how do you tell your corruption level? Once you have equipped any amount of corrupted gear you should see a N'zothian Eyeball show up on your character panel on the right (see the image below). When you mouse over this image it will expand to show you your Base Corruption, your Corruption Resistance and your Total Corruption. As you can see, my total corruption is lower than my base corruption because of that corruption resistance (I will talk about this in a minute). 

The goal is to make sure you have enough resistance for the gear you are equipping so you don't get your face wrecked by the negative effects of corruption. 

If you want to look at the various positive and negative effects there is a Complete Corruption Guide here

3) Legendary Cloak: As part of the questline (near the end) you get (another) Legendary Cloak from our dear friend Wrathion. The cloak is important for two main reasons. First, it is a really high ilvl with good stats (starts at 470). Second, it is your way to build Corruption Resistance. You can level or Rank up your cloak and with each level your Corruption Resistance increases (along with its ilvl).

This makes the next pressing question--how do you rank up your legendary cloak? Briefly, before answering this question, it is important to note that there is a weekly cap on the rank you can take your cloak to. This past week the cap was Rank 6. This week and moving forward it goes up one rank a week--which should allow some of us who screwed up a run or two to get caught up. 

The main way is by obtaining Coalescing Visions, buying a Vessel of Horrific Visions, and completing specific objectives (while in a Horrific Vision). Lets look at each of these steps in a little bit more detail as well. 

If you want to read in more detail for yourself, here is a Complete Legendary Cloak Guide or a guide for this upcoming week specifically

4) Coalescing Visions: This is one of the main currencies with 8.3. You can see how many you have in your currency tab. However, it is important to note there is a maximum you can have at once and that is 25,000. The only use this currency has is to buy you the Vessel of Horrific Visions, which is basically the key to do Horrific Vision runs (we will talk about this next). 

How to obtain Coalescing Visions? There are several ways, but some activities give much more than others, so focus your time on the biggest payouts first, and work your way down. 

• N'zoth Assault (I have been calling these Big Assaults)
  • Non-N'zoth Assaults (I have been calling these Small Assaults)
  • Mini-Visions
  • Dailies
  • Chests, Rares, Activities

I. N'zoth Assaults: These reward 10,000 Coalescing Visions. These reset weekly. This means you can do it once between Reset on Tuesday (10 am Server time) and the next reset. 

II. Non-N'zoth Assaults: These reward 5,500 Coalescing Visions. These reset biweekly (you can do two a week). They reset at Tuesday reset (10 am Server Time) and at Friday at 10 pm Server time. This is tricky because you have to remember to do one early in the week, and one later in the week, but it is the second highest reward. I might suggest a sticky note, or a reminder in your phone. 

III. Mini-Visions: The mini-vision quest awards 2,000 Coalescing Visions for your first completion each week and awards 1,000 for each additional completion (once per day). These reset daily along with daily quest resets. Doing this every day will get you one extra Vessel about every week and a half. These function similar to the Horrific visions in that when you click the stone with eyes you get one shot at it, and you lose sanity over time; however, these are not usually as tricky as the Horrific Visions. 

IV. Dailies: These reset daily at server reset time (10 am Server Time). There are usually about six dailies spread between the two assault zones. Each quest appears to reward 50 Coalescing Visions. So if you do all of them you would get an additional 300 Coalescing Visions a day. (If you do all of these every day it will only add up to 2100 a week--so as you can see much less of a contribution than the other sources to your total currency).

V. Chests, Rares, & Activities: In addition to the major sources you are rewarded with a handful of Coalescing Visions when you kill rares, do special events, or open chests in the two assault zones. In my mind these are just bonuses since they reward so few getting any significant amount from these activities would take a LOT of grinding. 

TLDR: Do what you can, but prioritize the larger rewards first and do not grind so hard that you burn yourself out or make yourself go insane. If you want to read the original article, you can. 

5) Assaults: I will keep this short. I just want people to know that even if you aren't going to be seeking Coalescing Visions to run Horrific Visions, there are some cool rewards (mounts, pets, toys, mog etc.) that you can find from the events and rares in the assaults. Check out this guide on the Visions of N'Zoth Assaults or Rare Spawns Guide or Rewards Guide--depending on what information you are after. 

6) Horrific Visions: These are small scenarios that scale between 1-5 people. So you can do them solo or in a group. Why do we care about Horrific Visions?

• Upgrade your cloaks (see the above section)
  • Obtain Corrupted Mementos
  • Obtain Essences
  • Obtain Gear

I. If you want more information on the visions and the cloak--it should be detailed in the Legendary Cloak section.

II. Corrupted Mementos are used to purchase research upgrades, buy socket upgrades and other vanity items like a mount (it requires a metric crap-ton). If you are regularly running the Horrific Visions it is of the utmost importance that you remember to put points into the Titan Research Archive. This is the research station near MOTHER. Adding points to the research archive should increase your ability to do the Horrific Visions well, and do the additional objectives. I have not one guide, but a second guide to upgrading your research. These really both say the same thing, but you may like one layout better than the other--so I gave you both. As always, there is also a guide on how to obtain and spend corrupted mementos

III. There are several new essences with 8.3 and some of them are obtainable through Horrific Visions. If you want the Spark of InspirationUnwavering Ward or Strength of the Warden, Horrific Visions are the way to go.  

IV. Gear! Who doesn't like gear? Horrific Visions if done well and you push can be used as another source for gear. The gear drops are not entirely random, as completing certain objectives award different levels of gear. To learn more about gear at the various milestones check here

Okay, now that we have talked about why, let's talk about what. As previously mentioned, you need a Vessel of Horrific Visions to be able to do a run. This is consumed once the vision begins. HOWEVER, a very important point to note is once you queue (at the Chamber of the Heart) you are taken into the vision, but it hasn't actually started yet. You should see yourself in a room with Wrathion and you have time to look at the map, make a plan and calm your nerves. Then when you are ready you can speak to Wrathion to start the Vision.

There are two different visions: Orgrimmar and Stormwind. Those who did one last week should note it was Orgrimmar last week. The visions function basically the same, but the different visions have unique objectives, layouts, secrets and rewards.

Once you start you will see some changes to your UI, that will look somewhat like this: (unless you have UI modifications)

One of the main things to pay attention to here is your sanity and the sanity restoration orbs. Sanity is drained passively overtime (how much depends on what area of the map you are in). You also lose large amounts of sanity if you are hit with certain abilities. In my experience from this past week, getting hit by abilities was one of the biggest causes of lost sanity rather than the passive drain. It is also worth noting that ranks in your cloak will also reduce sanity loss--so bigger cloaks make runs easier. 

After you have put a single point into the Titanic Research Archive you will obtain 3 Sanity Restoration Orbs. You will have 3 orbs whether you are solo or in a group. If you are in a group there are a few important things to know about the orbs: Anyone can activate them (people can also activate them at the same time--causing you to waste one) so I highly recommend designating a person to click them should you be in a group. You have to be in range of the orb to have your sanity restored. That means if you are in a group, group up before using the orb. The orbs can also not be used in combat, so make sure you have enough sanity to finish the pull you are doing. If not, use an orb. However, because of the limited amount of orbs, try to use them only when necessary. I think this will be a bit of give and take and take some practice to learn.

Each vision (Orgrimmar or Stormwind) has a main objective and 4 bonus objectives. In early runs you will likely just go for the main objective, and add in bonus objectives as your cloak and research archive upgrade. The main objective is always to kill the main person (Thrall or Alleria). I will leave it at this for now, but if you want to read more about the bonus objectives, mask runs and other later game mechanics and challenges this guide has all the information you need. 

Whew! See...that is all so exhausting. But don't fret, we will all get it figured out. If you are struggling, or are confused don't hesitate to ask guildies. 

Guildie of the Week

Celadrithien

Cela was nominated for always being an awesome and helpful guildie. She helped Surdor get his cloak on his new toon and helped Treemendous get through two horrific visions. We love you Cela. 

To submit a nomination, send an in-game or website mail, discord or facebook message to Rhodaria. Be sure to specify who the guildie is you are nominating and why you are nominating them. To view the gallery of past winners go to our Guildie of the Week Page.

Raiding

RAID DAY! That's right, the new raid starts tonight--provided we can get enough people. If the toon you are planning to swap to isn't all the way up to the required 430 item level yet, you can come on your old main so we can start to learn mechanics. 

Also, know that if you need catch up gear the dungeons have been re-scaled and mythic zeros now drop item level 430 gear. So it shouldn't be too hard to catch up, whether that is with a guild group or if you want to go pug some Mythic zeros.

NOW, make sure you look over the first few fights for tonight. You can do it in whatever way you like, I usually look over the Fatboss Guides that wowhead provides. El linked some videos in the discord raiding channel. Whatever the method, do a bit of research so we are ready to rock and roll tonight.

Hopefully anyway...we didn't have everyone I thought we would have signed up, so make sure to let me know if you are planning to come or not. Raids should be posted for the whole week and I will post raids for next week and February part way through this week once we have gotten our feet wet in Normal.

Raiders really need to make sure:

• They have their legendary cloak 
  • They are working on upgrading the cloak
  • They don't have too much corruption gear equipped
  • Look over class changes
  • Check your talents, azerite pieces, and essences
  • Work on leveling up your neck! The next minor essence slot is at level 75

If you need any help or have questions on what you should be doing, please let me know. 

Needed Supplies

We just need to stock up on feasts and flasks for raids. Our top needs right now are Viper Fish and Zin'anthid. Other materials for feasts or herbs of any kind would be appreciated as well. 

Reminders

~Play smart! Think about the best way to maximize your game time--don't get burnt out before the patch really even starts~

Jump to: